Monday, December 1, 2008

What are we celebrating? It doesn't really matter to me (I will be there with my glow stick and blinkie flashlight in 15 minutes flat).




























































































I love parades. I don’t exactly know why this is. I just know that it is so. This may seem like a strange statement to some of you but keep in mind who the stater is.

The thing about parades is that they have no designated place or purpose. They can happen anywhere at any time. That is what is so wonderful about parades. You want to celebrate a victory? Have a parade. You want to show off your car? Have a parade. You have buckets of left over confetti or ginormous cartoon shaped balloons? Parade. I love parades.

It is not even enough to say that I love them because it is really so much more. I will go and sit in the street on my tush to watch people pull their pets (whom they have dressed up in adorable costumes) in the back of a radio flyer wagon. (I enjoy it more when the owners are dressed up like the pets) But plenty of people will do that. What sets me apart is that I don’t have to like what is being paraded. I think people who dress their pets up are a little scary (no offense to any of you that choose to participate. I am not judging just cautioning that you might not want to include me in that part of your life.) but I will not only go to that parade, I will show up early to get a good seat and push little kids out of my way so that I get an unobstructed view and can take as many pictures as my camera will allow.

Why is this you ask? I HAVE NO IDEA!!! If you must know this is a recent discovery about myself. It has always been so; I just couldn’t pinpoint it until now.

This past Saturday, I was dropping my beloved off at the airport when I got a call from my sister in law. It was an invitation to the Tempe Fantasy of Lights Parade. I changed every imagined plan and priority I had that night to sit and watch Girl Scouts wrapped in Christmas lights march down the street pulling the generator they were plugged into (bear in mind that I am moving in 19 days and have not even come close to packing or cleaning up me or my 5 children and I have to do it all by myself). It was not only Girl Scouts. There was also a garbage truck wrapped in lights and some horse drawn carriages. It was so much fun. I whopped and hollered, waved and cheered. I just about when crazy when Sherriff Joe rolled by in sort of a Humve tank thing. I just love parades.

Some day I hope to be in a really big and legitimized parade. I have made the occasional appearance in the odd Halloween Costume parade and I have been known to do the bunny hop (which is sort of a parade (another thing that is so great about parades, you can parade any which way you want)) but I aspire to do something bigger. I want to ride on a bumpy, creatively constructed, highly flammable, plastic float while throwing candy and waving at on-lookers. I think the super bowl of all parades is the one that rolls through Disneyland. What I wouldn’t give to dress up like a princess and dance down Main Street.

Some of you who have read my writings before might think that I am being critical or sarcastic, but that is not at all the case. I am dead serious. This is just another one of those quirky things that makes me uniquely me (aka: crazy as a loon).

I Love Parades!!!

No comments: