Monday, December 29, 2008

It helps that my left blinker doesn't work and I carry a paintball gun for protection.

This will be my first post form the great state of Kansas (I will be posting a plethora of pictures later, including the largest cross in the western hemisphere. I can tell you are already salivating but I have to find my camera cord first). It is cold, windy, and road construction prevents me from turning left…EVER. I live very near the ghetto and I am pretty sure that someone was kidnapped from the mall that is about 7 minutes up the road from us on the day before Christmas (they found her alive later that same day). There are no turn lanes and I had to take a toll road to get here.

In short, I think I like it here. I have been to the mall twice (I usually avoid the mall like the plague because of my many littuns but my husband has been off work since we got here and I am leaving all of them with him every chance I get. It’s called payback and he has a lot of it coming.). They have a pretzel place and everything is on clearance (it is like heaven for a frugal shopper like myself).

It is chilly when the wind blows but I have a very stylish down feather jacket that makes me look skinny and I do love to wear sweaters. When the wind doesn’t blow, it is actually quite nice. The sun doesn’t melt the average human who mistakenly steps into it. I could get used to it.

We have only been to church once but it seems really cool. The ward is small but friendly and they all seem really nice. I wonder how long it will take me to tick one or all of them off. Not that I am trying, it just happens to be a common side effect of my being.

The one down side is those darn tornados. The weather has been so erratic that I have already not slept thorough one of those warnings. Nothing happened but just the warnings are enough to frazzle a mother with no rope (I have formulated a foolproof emergency plan that requires duct tape, a length of rope, candles, and a cement room with 6 outlets. More on that later).

I have also been alerted to the best eatery in the Wichita Metro area (This is super important to a chubby girl). It is called Freddie’s Frozen Custard. I have not yet enjoyed the custard (it is freezing as I mentioned before) but the fries are better then bacon and the burgers are yummy. I am sure this joint will kill me with clogged arteries but it might just be worth it.

This place has also had a very desirable effect on my husband as well. Since he has been here (he got here in September) he sent me flowers (2nd time in 11 years) and he wasn’t even in any specific trouble (I have been a little grouchy being a single mom of 5 for so long but that was more a continual state). Then, for our 11th anniversary, he got me diamond earrings (Generally I am not a girlie-girl who would enjoy or even wear bling of any kind but this was surprisingly pleasing to me. I might have a little girlie streak in me after all) and they are real. I was sure that spending real amounts of money on anything that is not technological might literally kill him. It is a nice development of a more then stressful moving process.

I invite any and all to come and visit (you might have to wait until some of our crap is put away or burned). We are centrally located and willing to be a pit sop on a much longer journey. I will take you to Freddie’s and show you my ghetto. Spring is prime tornado time so, depending on if you are a thrill seeker or not, you might want to plan accordingly.

For those of you who know me and care, my phone number is the same for now but will be changing eventually and I will let you know when it does. If any of you out there want my address drop me an email and I will get it to you ASAP.

Until next time, I hope that all of you had a Very Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year. I feel that my family is and has been very blessed and I wish the same for each of you. I promise that you will have a wonderful year if you look for the good and laugh about the bad (after you are done crying a little if that helps). Plenty of faith and a good sense of humor will change your life if you let it.

Love to All,
Katy

5 comments:

Katy said...

Only nine hours away and gas is at $1.35 some places here, we will come. We have a Freddies here also (one of Dad's clients) and I do not like the fries, (too shoestring). I think that the sirens you heard may be a practice warning system, but we had those in Indiana too and after I spent the first few in the basement, I figured that out. I am glad you are together as a family.

Love, MomR ( I won't tell you how long I had to be married to get diamonds)

Sarah said...

YAY! I'm so glad you arrived safely! Sounds like you are getting settled in perfectly. If we are ever passing through, I'll be sure to drop in. (We don't go anywhere though, so maybe I shouldn't get your hopes up like that. :D) I want your address though. My email is soupydoop77@yahoo.com.

music lady said...

It is good to see you made it there and are settling in. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and may God be with you and your family this next year.
It is cold here .. I can't seem to warm up, but no it is much colder where you are. Miss your smile!!

The Zoo Keeper said...

Glad you made it!!! If we ever get a car big enough for our family we might have to take a road trip!!

The Zoo Keeper said...

I am trying to email you but it keeps coming back to me!! do you have a new address????