Thursday, July 17, 2008

More Cake Please...




I am often astonished at how fast time goes by. It seems like only yesterday I was 20 years old and had not a care in the world. I made the mistake of blinking, and now I am 31 and still sitting in my pajamas. Where did all the time go? I have memories. Some of them are even great memories, but I can’t really remember how I got here. Don’t get me wrong; here is really a great place to be, but it is so far from where I started that I am a little discombobulated (I guess birthdays will do that to you).

I remember graduating from high school with the biggest of plans to travel the world before graduating from college and becoming a world famous news anchor. Fast forward 13 years and here I sit blogging to no one in particular to the sweet lullaby of 5 kids that feel it is their personal duty to fill every silence the day has to offer with noise (good noises like laughter and singing and bad noises that I try and pretend not to hear (see previous blog entry))and my husband rocking out to My Name is Jonas on Guitar Hero for the Wii (his birthday present from me).

That might actually be part of the problem. When you share a birthday with your husband for 11 years, you sort of lose track of you. My birthday sort of becomes all about him. I don’t mind that (as long as he never makes me go golfing in the dead of July in Arizona again) but this year I realized that I really don’t have my own special day (neither does he) and it might be nice every once in a while.

I guess that is what you call having your cake and eating it too. I want to be (or maybe just feel) young forever without missing one minute of the life that I have and love. You do have to make sacrifices as you get older but the joys that come with age are definitely getting sweeter.

I guess, when it comes down to it, I’ll have some more cake.

1 comment:

The Zoo Keeper said...

Happy Birthday !!!!! I can't believe I talked to you and didn't even say anything!!! What a Loser I am!!!!!