Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another Shining Example of My Extensive Computer (and Mothering) Skills

It has finally happened. The drabble that routinely fills the summer television programming void has driven me to discover the channels that no self respecting woman should ever venture to. I am referring, of course, to the Golf Channel and that channel that shows Sponge Bob Square Pants 24 hours a day. When did I become this person?

Don’t answer that.

Recently, as I was watching the Myth Busters team figure out that Mentos and Diet Coke really do make a mess (I can’t wait for my kids (and by kids I mean my husband) to try that one at home. No really, I already caught him adding Mentos to the weekly shopping list) I saw a commercial (that’s right, the programming is so riveting that I have started watching commercials) that drove me to my laptop. Did you know that there is a whole website dedicated to informing the average Joe on how stuff works? It is the coolest site I have ever visited. Did you ever wonder if piranhas (I learned to spell that word from the site. That’s right, no need for spell check here) could really strip a cow to the bone, or if your iPod can really set things on fire? (Why not? What is wrong with you?) Then this is truly the sight for you. It is chuck full of information that will keep you pre-teen boys busy for hours. The only downside is that, if your boys are anything like mine they are not particularly nice to each other (if you have two boys that are nice to each other, you must provide me with proof followed by detailed, step by step instructions for how this was accomplished.).

Today, my 9 year old refused to read some valuable information from the site to my 7 year old (who could read it for himself if the older boy would leave it on the screen long enough for him to see) which in turn caused the younger to come and tattle on the elder to me (if they would just keep the yelling in the other room I could pretend not to hear it, but once they come and tell me there is no more pretending. Then I must make sure that my kids know that no one wins when I have to get up). By the time I got to the computer to remedy the problem, my 9 year old had navigated away from the page and I had no real hope of ever finding it again (darn the complexities of the internet. I know what you are thinking. Why didn’t I just use the back button or search the cookies or some other made up computer stuff? Well I didn’t, and where were you this afternoon when your pity and disapproval would have saved me a few hours?). So I got to spend the remainder of my afternoon researching how milk is pasteurized (which, sadly, was not the worst part of my day).

So, to get back to my point, you should really check out this website. It might make an otherwise non-stimulating summer, at least a tad bit educational. The site is www.howstuffworks.com (and if you have trouble remembering that I don’t really want to know how you got your boys to behave themselves and get along. I want to know how you have achieved adulthood (I'm not judging you)).

1 comment:

The Zoo Keeper said...

Aaron and his brothers have done the diet coke mentos thing-It really does work!!! hours of fun...makes me a bit worried to ever eat a mentos after my supersized diet coke!