Monday, August 18, 2008

Does your life have a soundtrack?

Sometimes I have these moments when I think (to myself because that is how I like to think and anyone around me might think I was crazy if I decided to share (which is what I am doing right now but since no one really reads this I think I am OK) but just to clarify, I am not really that crazy.) I could totally be in a movie or on TV. Not in general (although I feel I have definite potential buried below 50 lbs of motherhood) but at that (or this) exact moment. For instance, I could be completely frustrated with my kids, sitting at my table with my head in my hands (because on of them has spilled a 32 oz red Gatorade on my newly moped floor (just in case you didn’t understand my character’s motivation)) and I can picture a tight shot on my head with a slow zoom outward while I pull my hand back in slow motion with a look of defeat on my face ending with a slight head shake and my eyes turning upward (again, all in slow motion to add dramatic emphasis). Seriously, sometimes I can almost hear the background music.

It really is the music that makes the moment. Am I feeling defeated? Then the music should be I Tried So Hard by Bone Thugs and Harmony featuring Akon (minus the Black man part because I’m not). Am I feeling determined? Well then I would chose a little tune by Linkin Park called What I’ve Done (I would include the musical intro and the chorus). Is there a little hope and laughter to be found mixed into the situation then Mr. Rob Thomas is singing Little Things. The music really makes the moment more then the action, and I can truly almost hear it.

Recently though, my soundtrack has been a little less glamorous. In fact, it has become constant, noisy, background music (because my husband is deaf). It is Guitar Hero Legends of Rock. Not just one song but the entire limited collection. I get into the shower and hear Ruby. I lay down to take a nap and I hear My Name is Jonas. I yell at my kids and the Killers are right there playing When We Were Young. What is even sadder is the fact that I have caught myself taping out the finger positions. I really need to buy the Areosmith version so that I can add a little variety to my background ambiance because death-metal doesn’t add to the calming effect I am looking for. That seems to be The Story of My Life.

I just got a call from the school. It would appear that my 5 year old has vomited in the classroom and needs to be picked up and my 3 year old has made the baby cry. I defiantly hear Into the Fire and Flame and that is my que to get going before the stress causes a meltdown. I am going to get through this day if it kills me.

(Picture me pushing back from the computer, smacking the monitor power button and exiting the room determinedly to the tune of Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benatar). Pan back over to the computer. Fade to Black.)

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmm...I don't know what my life's soundtrack would be. We're fairly boring though, so there's a good chance it'd be the same song every day! I'll have to discuss it with my husband though. I'm sure he'd be able to come up with some. He's better at that sort of thing than I am.

Last week, Camden spilled milk all over my freshly mopped floors...It just seems to be the way it's supposed to work.

Anyway, I still can't believe you guys are moving! I'm totally bummed! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out over the next couple months. We should go to lunch or something. I'm sure Leslie would love to go too!

The Zoo Keeper said...

you are great!!! I love the comment you left for me!! How true is that?? I LOVE ready your blog, I feel like I am back in your living room visiting with you!!

Leslie said...

Where are you moving too? Sheesh I am gone for 5 weeks and so much changes!! Yes we should go to lunch and I owe you so if you need help please do ask!!

annelise said...

I found my boxes at Wall-Mart, Jim found them, you can go and get them somewhere in the back, but the really good strong ones a friend gave it to us.
Good luck packing, we are almost there.

Katy said...

You are very weird...interesting but weird...

Love,
MomR

jnkbarton said...

Interesting picture choice :)You need a music playlist at the bottom so we can hear all these songs you talk about because of us are not up-to-date on music.

Leslie said...

You can also get boxes at the SRP recyleing place on Univeristy and Power. If you go at the right time you can get a ton of really good boxes. Like almost brand new UHaul boxes. I am not sure if it totally legal but we have never been stopped. And you are recycling them anyway right? If you want to know where exactly it is let me know!!

annelise said...

Thsi blog needs some update...